According to psychologist Dr Linda Papadopoulos, who assisted with the study, the benefits can be attributed to a combination of factors.
She commented: 'One of the best things about holidays is that by coming out of your routine you don't have to worry about "must dos" and can have new experiences on your terms.
'You're free to do as much or a little as you like, which in turn makes you feel more relaxed. This can help reduce the levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which when significantly elevated in the body can have a negative impact on organs such as the skin.
'As stress and anxiety decreases, mood increases – bringing many, often unexpected, positive benefits in how we perceive ourselves, motivation and productivity, and our general outlook on life.'
3. You have annual leave for a reason - you might as well use it!
4. It's scientifically proven that your productivity is improved when you return. If your boss doesn't want you to go, send them this link for proof!
5. Holiday breaks Strengthen Relationships. The happiest of people have happy personal relations and going on holiday with your family or loved ones helps forge even closer bonds and awesome memories that have higher value than any material items you can purchase. Studies have found women who take vacations with spouses report feeling more satisfied with their partners.
6. Overall Happiness. Fact - the more holidays you take, the happier you'll be! A study completed in Rotterdam proved it!
7. It's a wardrobe thing. While we may LOVE winter fashion, it is unfair to keep all your beautiful Summer clothing (especially your Bootylicious Bikinis!) locked up in your wardrobe for too long! Book a holiday to make sure you are getting the best value out of your Summer clothing.
8. Books are best enjoyed on a beach. If you're anything like us, you have a long list of books on your 'need to read' list. Mark a few off that list by booking a holiday!
9. You'll have something to look forward to. Read more here about how happiness increases when you have something to look forward to.
10. Travel helps to broaden your mind and is good to inspire you. Ideas you never dreamed possible can be sparked while on holidays and you may also appreciate your own life more when you get back. By being in a different place, you will do things you would not normally do while at home - eat different foods, try different experiences, do something out of the ordinary. Remember, you only have one life - LIVE IT!